1. When her husband was given a job overseas, she had to decide whether to accompany him or not.
(A) go with (B) argue with (C) avoid
2. In the middle of the night the sleeping campers were alarmed by a loud crash.
(A) excited (B) signaled (C) frightened
3. One of California's greatest problems is providing adequate water to meet the needs of its expanding population.
(A) sufficient (B) palatable (C) suitable
4. Although South Carolina's mineral resources are abundant, not all of them can be mined lucratively.
(A) molten (B) plentiful (C) diverse
5. While they were away on vacation, they allowed their mail to accumulate the post office.
(A) pile up (B) get lost (C) be returned
6. Lorraine Hansberry acquired a deep affection for Africa and its people from her uncle William, a professor of African history at Howard University.
(A) respect (B) longing (C) fondness
7. The accommodations of this hotel are limited to 600 persons.
(A) epoches (B) lodgings (C) fiascoes
8. Can you account for how the money got into your bag?
(A) explain (B) tally (C) survey
9. When transferred from one container to another of a different design, a liquid will maintain its volume but alter its shape.
(A) modify(B)stretch (C) confine
10. The road west gave access to the lake.
(A) ascendancy (B) approach(C)exit
相伴; 跟…相配; 跟…談戀愛; 趕時髦
I shall advertise for someone to go with me.
v.(使)驚恐( frighten的過去式和過去分詞); 嚇唬
In a way, I suppose I'm frightened of failing.
adj.足夠的; 充足的; 充分的
The money to build the power station ought to have been sufficient.
adj.豐富的; 富產的; 豐饒的; 充沛
There is a plentiful supply of arms on the black market.
堆放，堆積; 積聚; 成堆
Three people died in a multiple pile-up in freezing fog.
I've always had a fondness for jewels.
n.寄宿; 住所; 寄宿舍; 租住的房間; 出租的房間( lodging的名詞復數 ); 暫住; 寄宿; 借宿
David had changed his lodgings, leaving no address behind.
Her aggressiveness made it difficult for him to explain his own feelings.
vt.改變; 減輕，減緩; [語]修飾，(用變音符號)改變
You'd better modify your tone.
vt.接近; 著手處理; 使移近; 試圖賄賂(或影響，疏通)
n.方法; 途徑; 接近
We have a very communicative approach to teaching languages.